Friday, December 5, 2014
India- Symbols and Emblem
1. National Symbols: Symbols that represent our country are known as National Symbols.
2. Logo: Logo is a symbol or a design adopted by an organization to identify its products
Answer in short:
1. Why is our National Flag called the ‘ Tricolour’ or ‘Tiranga’? Name them
Ans Our National Flag has three colours ie.. Saffron, White and green so it is called as Tiranga.
2. What do these colours signify?
Ans. Saffron symbolizes courage and sacrifice; white stands for purity and
green for growth and fertility.
3. Why is India called as a diverse country? Or ‘What is unity in diversity’?
India is a country of diverse culture and religions, with different
languages and traditions being followed. Still we are all Indians, belonging to
4. Why should we stand in attention whenever the national anthem is being played?
Ans: As a mark of respect to our nation, we should always stand in attention whenever the
national anthem is being played
5. What do the following symbolize:
a) The four Lions - power, courage and confidence.
b) National animal tiger: symbolizes India’s wildlife wealth
c)National bird – Peacock: symbolizes prettiness, grace, pride ,and holiness
d) National tree- Banyan tree- immortal
e) National Flower- Lotus: symbolizes spirituality, fruitfulness, wealth, knowledge
and illumination, purity of heart and mind
f) National Symbols- are those signs chosen by a country as a sign of national
g) Dharma Chakra : motion and progress of the country
h) The bull stands for : hard work
i) The Horse stands for :energy and speed
6. Name the following:
a) National song of India: Vandemateram
b) Jan- gana-mana war written by- Rabindranath Tagore
c)National song written by – Bankim Chandra Chaterjee
d) Interpretation of the Vande mataram song by: Shri Aurobindo
e) Meaning of Satyamev Jayate: Truth Alone Triumphs
7. Fill in the blanks:
1. The playing time of our full version of National Anthem is 52 seconds.
2. Jana- gana –mana was first sung on 27 th December 1911 in Calcutta
3. The original National anthem had 5 stanzas
4. A wheel with 24 spokes is called the Dharma Chakra.
5. National flag of India is hoisted on 15 th August and 26 th January
6. The widest tree in the world ie the Great banyan is located in Kolkata.
7. The mango fruit is rich in Vitamins A,C,D
8. Write a few lines about:
a) National Bird
b) National tree
d) National fruit
e) National Animal
f) National Flag
g) National Anthem of India
h) National Emblem
i) National Sport of India
Wednesday, December 3, 2014
Uses of air :-
· It enables the movement of sailboats and gliders.
· It runs windmills , which is used to generate electricity.
· The nitrogen present in air is essential for the growth of plants
· Carbon dioxide is taken from air by plants for photosynthesis.
· Wind also helps in the dispersal of seeds.
· Air (oxygen) in necessary for burning.
FILL UP THE BLANKS:-
1. Wind not only has force but also has direction.
2. Moving air is called wind .
3. Wind has a force.
4. Air has dust particles.
5. Air (oxygen) in necessary for burning.
6. Air is made up of different types of gases like Oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide.
7. Smoke released by chimneys of factories and cars play a major role in polluting the environment.
ONE WORD ANSWER:-
1)Which gas do we inhale while breathing?
2) Which gas is used by the plants to make food?
Ans: Carbon dioxide
3) which gas do we breathe out?
Ans: Carbon dioxide
SHORT QUESTIONS ANSWERS:-
Q 1. If we cannot see air then how can we say that air is all around us?
Ans :-We can say so because we have seen
* leaves on the trees rustling
* we can feel the cool breeze
That proves the presence of air.
Q 2 .What are the different components of air?
Ans:-Oxygen, Carbon dioxide , nitrogen , water vapour and dust particles .
Q3.How does your hair and clothes dry after you wash it?
ANS:-Water evaporates from our hair and clothes and go into the air in the form of water vapours.
Q4:-While stuck in a traffic jam do you feel uncomfortable while breathing? Why?
ANS:-This is due to the poisonous gases and smoke released in the environment.
Q 5:-What are the effects of these harmful gases on our health?
ANS:-Air pollution causes different types of diseases like asthma, lung cancer etc.
Q6:-What are the causes of air pollution?
a)Burning of waste materials
b) smoke released from factories and industries
c) bursting of crackers
d) coughing and sneezing without covering our mouth and nose
e) smoke from vehicles like cars, buses etc.
Q7:-During festivals people should celebrate in what manner to stop pollution?
ANS:-During festivals people should stop bursting crackers and do something more meaningful such as planting trees or feeding the poor.
Q8:-Why does the candle stop burning if it is covered with a glass?
ANS:-Because the oxygen supply from the air is cut of and air is necessary for burning
Q9:-What do you mean by eco friendly?
ANS:-Things which are not harmful to the environment.
Q10:-How do plants help in keeping the air clean?
ANS:- Plants take carbon dioxide and release oxygen and thus help in keeping the air clean.
Q11. The lakes and ponds dry up during summer season. Where does the water go?
ANS:-Water goes into the air as water vapour
LONG QUESTIONS ANSWERS:-
Q1. Define storm? Why are people advised to stay in their homes during the storm?
Ans:- Storm :The speed of the wind sometimes increases or decreases in certain conditions and creates storm.
A storm has a lot of force and cause damage to things (houses, trees ,moving objects)
coming in its way and thus people are advised to stay at home during the storm.
Q2. Is it possible to live without air?
Ans:-It is not possible to live without air as all living things respire by breathing in air.
Q3:-Where did the dust come from?
Ans:-It comes from the air. Air contains a lot of dust particles and germs too.
Q4:-Why smoking is not allowed in public places like restaurants, cinema halls,
ANS :-Smoking is not good for health and for breath, It pollutes the
Q5:-What is air pollution?
Ans: Air pollution is the introduction of harmful materials into the Earth's
Q 6:- What is the major cause of air pollution?
a) poisonous gases released by the vehicles and the factory chimneys contribute to major cause of air pollution
b) As these harmful substances, gases, chemicals and garbage are added to the environment, it affects the quality of life of all living beings
c) possibly causing disease, death to humans
d) damage to other living organisms such as food, crops etc.
Q7:-To reduce air pollution from vehicles what we should do ?
ANS:- *We should try and walk to our destinations more often
*use bicycles instead of cars for short distances
* use public transport
Q8.- Celebrating diwali by bursting crackers is harmful why?
ANS: Celebrating diwali by bursting crackers, release poisonous gases in the air, pollute it and
cause damage to our health. After Diwali many birds and animals fall sick
Q9:-How can we reduce air pollution? Or State any 3 measures to check the air pollution.
ANS:-Air pollution can be reduced :-
· if people stop smoking, bursting crackers etc.
· To reduce air pollution from vehicles we should try and walk to our destinations
more often, use bicycles instead of cars for short distances, and use public more
than personal cars.
· More trees should be planted as trees help in cleaning air.
· We should use eco friendly things.
Q 10. what is 3R principle?