Metro Cities of India
Q. I. Answer the following questions:
1. How many metro cities are there in India?
A. There are four metro cities in India.
2. Name the national capital of India.
A. New Delhi
3. Name the four metro cities in India.
A. Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai
4. Define a metro city.
A. The Census Commission defines a Metro City as one which has more than 40 lakh of population.
5. What causes water logging in Mumbai?
A. Heavy rains causes water logging in
6. What type of climate does Delhi experiences?
A. Delhi experiences extreme climate. It is
very hot in summers and very cold in winters.
7. What type of climate does Kolkata experience?
A. Kolkata experience moderate type of
8. How are the summers in Mumbai?
A. Summer’s in Mumbai are warm and humid.
9. When does the climate in Delhi becomes pleasant?
A. The climate in Delhi becomes pleasant in the monsoon months of July to September.
10. Name the fastest mode of public transport in Mumbai.
Ans: Local trains are one of the fastest
mode of public transport in Mumbai.
11. Which city has the largest organized bus transport network?
Ans:Mumbai has the largest organized bus transport network.
12. What is the name of the international airport in Kolkata?
A. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
13.Why are BEST buses considered good for commuting?
Ans: BEST buses are considered good for commuting as they join each and every corner of Mumbai.
14.Which public transport is considered less time consuming in Mumbai?
Ans:Local trains are considered less time consuming mode of public transport in Mumbai.
15.What makes Maharashtra a perfect travel destination?
Ans:Caves, forts, beaches, temples, National Parks, various adventure activities make Maharashtra a perfect travel destination.
16. Name the financial capital of India.
17. What makes Mumbai a must travel destination for people around the world?
Ans: Mumbai has a cosmopolitan culture which makes it a must travel destination for people around the world.
18. Name any two beaches in Mumbai.
Ans:Versova, Chowpatty and Juhu
19. Name the two oldest temples in Chennai. A.Kapaleeswarar Temple and Parthasarthy
20. Which city in India has trams as public transport?
21. Name a famous bridge of Kolkata.
A. Howrah Bridge
22. Name any two buildings in Kolkata.
Ans: Writers Building, High Court, General Post Office and Victoria Memorial
23. Where does the President of India lives? Ans:The President of India lives in the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
24. Why does the Amar Jawan Jyoti burn all the times?
Ans:The Amar Jawan Jyoti burn all the
time in the memory of the soldiers who sacrificed their life in defending India.
25. Name any two places in Delhi that are of historic importance.
Ans: Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Jantar Mantar, Lodi Garden and Humayun’s Tomb
26. Name any two Maharastrian delicacies
Ans: Srikhand, thalipeeth, batata wada and varan Bhat.
Fill in the blanks:
1.Bengali is the language spoken in Kolkata.
2.Indira Gandhi International Airport is
the international airport of Delhi.
3.Aurangabad is the tourism capital of Maharashtra.
4. Chennai experiences rainfall in the
months of October and December.
5.Fish with rice is the staple food of people in Kolkata.
6.Marina Beach is the longest urban beach in the country.
7.Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated in Mumbai during the months of August or September.
8.Pongal is one of the most important festival celebrated by the people of Tamil Nadu.
9.Marathi is the language spoken in Mumbai.
10. Sandesh and Rasgulla are the two famous sweets from Kolkata.
* State true or false:
a. Delhi is warm and humid.
b. Mumbai is built on a group of seven islands. True
c. Marina Beach is situated in Kolkata.
d. Pongal is celebrated in the month of March.
e. Kesri is the popular sweet in Chennai.
f. Delhi is the first city to have metro in India. Ans. False
g. Carnatic music is the traditional music of Tamil Nadu.
h. Kathak is the classical dance of Tamil Nadu.
*Choose the correct option:
a. The first city to have metro in India was
b. Kapaleeswarar is one of the oldest temples in ___________. (Chennai/Mumbai)
c. Amar Jawan jyoti is a memorial built in honour of _________. (Jawaharlal Nehru/Soldiers)
d. In Chennai young girls wear___________. (sari/pavadai)
Ans. a) Kolkata, b) Chennai, c) Soldiers, d) pavadai