MOVEMENTS OF THE EARTH
I . Fill in the blanks
1. There are two types of movements of the Earth rotation and revolution.
2 .Day and night occur due to rotation.
3. Revolution gives rise to season change.
4. The Earth rotates from west to east on its own axis.
5. The moon takes about 27 days to complete one revolution around the earth.
6. Earth takes 365 and 1/4days to complete one revolution.
7. We celebrate Uttrayan day or Makar Sankranti on 14 January.
8. Seasons in India are termed as ‘Ritu’ in Hindi language.
9. Different planets take different time to complete one rotation
1. Axis :-Ans. The imaginary line that passes through the centre of all spinning objects is called the axis.
2. Rotation :-Ans . The spinning movement of the Earth around itself is known as rotation. Rotation of the Earth causes day and night3.3.
Ans.The Earth takes 24 hours to rotate around itself. This duration is called a Solar Day.
4. Day time and night time:-
Ans.From sunrise to sunset it is the day time and from sunset to next sunrise it is night time.
5. Orbit:-Ans. The earth moves around the Sun on a fixed elliptical path called the orbit.
Ans. The Earth moves around the sun on its own orbit. This movement is called Revolution.
· Revolution causes season change.
7. Annual motion:-Ans. The motion of the earth around the Sun is known as the Annual motion.
8. Solar Year:-Ans. The Earth takes 365and 1/4days to revolve around the Sun. This is known as a year. Since the year is measured around the movement of the Sun. It is also called a Solar year.
9. Leap year:-
Ans. Every fourth year we have an extra day which is added in the month of February. Then that year becomes a Leap year. A Leap year has 366 days.
Q.1. How many weeks are there in a year?
Ans. There are 52 weeks in a year.
Q.2. How many seasons are there in India?
Ans. There are mainly four seasons . Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. With reference
to India we have a Monsoon season.
Q.3 :- Names of the seasons in Hindi:-
Q.4. What is Prahar? How many Prahars are there in one day?
Ans. Prahar or Prahara is a Sanskrit term for a unit of time.
The day is divided into eight prahar (three hours each) four Praharas for the day and four for the night.
Q.5. .What will happen if there will be no rotation?
Ans.Life will not exist if there will be no rotation because,half of the Earth will get sunrays all the time and another half will never have the sunrays.So it will become difficult for the living beings to survive.