The Braveheart from Azamgarh
*Copy the word galaxy from the Text book*
*Extra Word Meanings:*
1. boarded: got into (a ship, aircraft or other vehicle)
2. utter: complete, absolute
3. role model: a person looked by others as an example to be imitated
4. heroic: admirably brave or determined
Q. I. Complete the following sentences:
1. There was a short circuit in the gas kit of the school van so it caught fire.
2. Flames had spread to Om Prakash’s arms, ears and face while saving the children from the burning van.
3. Om Prakash’s selfless act of bravery gave his father the opportunity to visit Delhi so his father was proud of him.
Q. II. Answer the questions:
1) . How many children were in the school van with Om Prakash?
Ans. There were eight children with Om Prakash in the van.
2) Who was Om Prakash?
Ans. Om Prakash was a ten year old boy from Azamgarh village in Uttar Pradesh.
3) What happened on the way to school?
Ans. His school van caught fire on the way to school.
4) What did the driver do?
Ans. The driver opened the door and fled to save his own life.
5) What did Om Prakash do?
Ans. Om Prakash broke open the door and started pulling the other children from the van, putting his own life in danger.
6) Why was Om Prakash’s father proud of him?
Ans. Om Prakash’s father was proud of him
because of his selfless act and bravery and that he got the opportunity to visit Delhi.
7) Why did Om Prakash save the other children when he could have just run away from the van like the driver?
Ans. Om Prakash could not runaway from the van like the driver because he was a brave and selfless child.
8) Why do you think the driver ran away?
Ans. The driver ran away from the van because he was a coward and a selfish man.
9)How was Om Prakash rewarded for his act of bravery?
Ans. Om Prakash was awarded the Sanjay Chopra Bravery Award from the then Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh on 26th January 2012 in New Delhi.